Can high ALT be treated

CuriousCat

I'm looking for advice from other forum users about high ALT levels. I recently had my blood tested and found that my ALT level was higher than normal. Is there any way I can lower it? Is there any treatment available? What are the risks of leaving it untreated? I'd really appreciate any advice or information that anyone can offer me.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Can High ALT be Treated?

ALT, or alanine aminotransferase, is an enzyme found in the liver that is commonly used to evaluate liver health. High levels of ALT can be an indicator of liver damage or disease. It is important to note that while high ALT can be a sign of liver damage, it is not necessarily a cause of it. Therefore, the goal of treatment is to address the underlying cause of the elevated ALT levels.

Lifestyle Changes

The first step in treating high ALT levels is to make lifestyle changes that can improve the overall health of the liver. This may include reducing alcohol consumption, eating a healthy diet, and exercising regularly. Additionally, avoiding medications that can cause liver damage, such as certain antibiotics, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), and acetaminophen, is important.

Medications

In some cases, medications may be prescribed to help manage high ALT levels. These medications may include antivirals, such as interferon or ribavirin, which can help reduce the amount of virus in the liver. Other medications, such as statins and fibrates, can reduce levels of fat in the liver, allowing it to function more efficiently.

Surgery

In some cases, surgery may be necessary to treat the underlying cause of high ALT levels. This may include removing a tumor from the liver, repairing damaged liver tissue, or removing part of the liver. Surgery is usually only recommended when other treatments have failed or when the condition is severe and requires immediate attention.

High ALT levels can be a sign of an underlying condition and should be discussed with a healthcare provider. Treatment options vary depending on the underlying cause, but may include lifestyle changes, medications, and in some cases, surgery. With proper treatment, it is possible to reduce ALT levels and improve overall liver health.