Can H. pylori cause high AST

DreamWeaver

I'm looking for some help from anyone who may have experience with H. pylori and high AST levels. I recently had a blood test that showed higher than normal AST levels, and my doctor suggested that it might be due to H. pylori infection. I was wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences, or if they know if H. pylori can indeed cause high AST levels? I'd really appreciate any advice or insight, as I'm not sure what to do next.

ConceptCrafter

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Can H. pylori cause high AST?

Helicobacter pylori, commonly known as H. pylori, is a type of bacteria that can cause gastric inflammation and ulcers in the stomach and small intestine. It can also cause some other digestive problems, such as heartburn and indigestion. In some cases, H. pylori can cause an elevation in liver enzymes, such as AST.

What is AST?

AST is an enzyme found in the liver, pancreas, heart, and other organs. Its full name is aspartate aminotransferase, and it is used to measure the health of the liver. Elevated AST levels are an indication of liver damage or inflammation.

Can H. pylori cause high AST?

Yes, H. pylori can cause an elevation in AST levels. This is because the bacteria can cause inflammation in the liver, which can lead to an elevation in AST. In some cases, the AST levels may return to normal once H. pylori is treated. However, it is important to note that high AST levels can also be caused by other factors, such as alcohol abuse, drug toxicity, or viral hepatitis. Therefore, it is important to consult with a physician to determine the cause of high AST levels.