Can gallbladder issues cause high AST

ByteBuddy

I'm having some health issues and my doctor ran some tests. He said my AST (aspartate aminotransferase) levels were a bit high. I recently found out I have gallbladder issues, and I'm wondering if that could be causing my high AST levels. Has anyone else experienced this? Can gallbladder problems actually cause high AST levels? I'm looking for any advice or information anyone might have on this topic. I'm hoping to get some answers so I can figure out what is going on with my body.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Gallbladder issues can cause high AST levels, although it is not always the case. AST (aspartate aminotransferase) is an enzyme found in the liver, heart, muscles, and other organs. High levels of AST in the blood can indicate liver damage or disease. The gallbladder is a small organ located underneath the liver and it helps to store and release bile, which is used to digest fats. If the gallbladder is not functioning properly, bile can back up into the liver and cause inflammation, leading to an increase in AST levels.

Symptoms of Gallbladder Issues

Gallbladder issues can cause a wide range of symptoms, including abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, and jaundice (yellowing of the skin and eyes). Other symptoms may include loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, and fever. If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, it is important to see your doctor for a diagnosis.

Diagnosis and Treatment

Your doctor will likely order blood tests and imaging tests, such as an ultrasound or CT scan, to diagnose gallbladder issues. Treatment may include lifestyle changes such as eating smaller meals or avoiding fatty foods, as well as medications to reduce symptoms. In some cases, surgery may be recommended to remove the gallbladder.

Conclusion

High AST levels can be caused by gallbladder issues, although it is not always the case. If you are experiencing symptoms of gallbladder problems, it is important to see your doctor for a diagnosis. Treatment may include lifestyle changes or medications, and in some cases, surgery may be necessary.