Can fatty liver increase ALT and AST

CuriousCat

I'm a bit worried and need some help understanding if fatty liver can increase ALT and AST levels. I've heard that fatty liver can cause inflammation which can lead to an increase in these levels, but I'm not sure if that's correct. Has anyone had any experience with this or know of any research that could help me better understand the situation? Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Yes, fatty liver can increase both ALT and AST. ALT and AST are two liver enzymes that are typically found in the blood. When the liver is damaged, these enzymes are released into the blood, and their levels can be used to diagnose liver disease.

What is Fatty Liver Disease?

Fatty liver disease, also known as hepatic steatosis, is a condition in which fat accumulates in the liver. It is the most common form of liver disease in the United States, and it can be caused by a variety of factors, including obesity, excessive alcohol consumption, and certain types of drugs.

How Does Fatty Liver Increase ALT and AST?

When the liver is damaged, enzymes such as ALT and AST are released into the bloodstream. The amount of these enzymes that are released is proportional to the amount of damage that has been done to the liver. In people with fatty liver disease, the liver is often damaged due to the accumulation of fat in the liver cells. As a result, the levels of ALT and AST in the blood are often elevated.

Can Fatty Liver Be Treated?

Yes, fatty liver disease can be treated. Treatment typically involves lifestyle modifications, such as weight loss, exercise, and avoiding excessive alcohol consumption. In addition, certain drugs may be used to reduce fat accumulation in the liver. If fatty liver disease is not treated, it can progress to liver cirrhosis or even liver failure.