Can dehydration cause high AST levels

strawberry

I'm hoping to find some help from fellow forum users on a medical question I have. I wanted to know if dehydration can cause high AST levels? I heard from a friend that dehydration can affect AST levels, but I'm not sure if that's correct. Has anyone else heard of this? If so, what have you heard and what have you experienced? I'm really interested in hearing from others who may have more insight into this topic.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Can dehydration cause high AST levels?

AST Levels and Dehydration

AST, or aspartate aminotransferase, is an enzyme found in the liver. High levels of AST can indicate liver damage or other medical conditions. Dehydration can also cause an elevation in AST levels.

Dehydration is a condition in which the body does not have enough water. It can be caused by a variety of factors, including excessive sweating, diarrhea, vomiting, or not drinking enough fluids.

Effects of Dehydration on AST Levels

When the body is dehydrated, it can cause an elevation in AST levels. This is because the liver has to work harder to produce more enzyme to compensate for the lack of water. As a result, the AST levels in the blood can become elevated.

In addition, dehydration can also cause electrolyte imbalances and other changes in the body, which can also lead to an increase in AST levels.

Treating Dehydration to Reduce AST Levels

The best way to reduce AST levels is to rehydrate the body. This can be done by drinking plenty of water and other fluids, such as sports drinks, juices, and soups. It is also important to eat foods that are high in water content, such as fruits and vegetables.

It is also important to avoid activities that can cause dehydration, such as exercising in hot weather or spending too much time in the sun.

Conclusion

Dehydration can cause high AST levels. It is important to make sure that the body is properly hydrated in order to reduce AST levels and maintain good health.