Can azithromycin cause damage

IdeaGenius

I'm really concerned about taking the antibiotic azithromycin and I'm hoping someone can help me. Has anyone here ever taken azithromycin and experienced any kind of side effects or damage? I'm particularly worried about potential long-term effects that this medication might have on my health. I'd really appreciate any advice or experiences that you can share with me.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Azithromycin is an antibiotic that is commonly used to treat bacterial infections. While it can be effective in treating many bacterial infections, it can also cause damage to some parts of the body, including the liver and heart.

Risks of Liver Damage

Azithromycin can cause liver damage in some people. This can occur due to an allergic reaction or because the drug has been taken in too large of a dose. Symptoms of liver damage include nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, jaundice, and dark urine. If you experience any of these symptoms while taking azithromycin, it is important to contact your doctor immediately.

Risks of Heart Damage

Azithromycin can also cause damage to the heart. This is most commonly seen in people who have a weakened immune system or those with preexisting heart conditions. Symptoms of heart damage include chest pain, shortness of breath, dizziness, and palpitations. If you experience any of these symptoms while taking azithromycin, it is important to contact your doctor immediately.

Precautions

It is important to follow your doctor's instructions when taking azithromycin. This includes taking the medication as prescribed and avoiding taking more than the recommended dose. If you have any underlying medical conditions, it is important to discuss these with your doctor before starting a course of azithromycin. Additionally, if you experience any of the symptoms mentioned above while taking azithromycin, it is important to contact your doctor immediately.