Can azithromycin affect your liver enzymes

ByteBuddy

I'm looking for some help understanding the potential effects of azithromycin on liver enzymes. Has anyone taken azithromycin and had their liver enzymes tested afterwards? I'm particularly interested in understanding the long-term effects of azithromycin on liver enzyme levels. Can anyone share their experiences or provide any information on this topic? Any advice would be much appreciated.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Azithromycin is an antibiotic that is commonly used to treat various bacterial infections. While it is generally considered to be safe, there is some evidence that it can affect liver enzymes. In this article, we will discuss the potential effects of Azithromycin on the liver and provide recommendations for monitoring liver enzyme levels.

What is Azithromycin?

Azithromycin is an antibiotic that belongs to a class of drugs known as macrolides. It is used to treat a variety of bacterial infections, including those of the skin, respiratory tract, and urinary tract. It is typically prescribed as a short-term treatment, as longer-term use of antibiotics can lead to antibiotic resistance.

Can Azithromycin Affect Liver Enzymes?

There is some evidence that Azithromycin can affect liver enzymes. A study of over 3,000 patients found that those taking Azithromycin had a higher risk of elevated liver enzymes than those taking other antibiotics. The risk was highest among those taking high doses of the drug.

What Are the Symptoms of Elevated Liver Enzymes?

Elevated liver enzymes can cause a variety of symptoms, including fatigue, nausea, and jaundice. If you experience any of these symptoms after taking Azithromycin, speak to your doctor.

How Can I Monitor My Liver Enzymes?

If you are taking Azithromycin, it is important to monitor your liver enzymes regularly. Your doctor may recommend that you have your liver enzymes tested every few months. If your liver enzymes are found to be elevated, your doctor may recommend that you stop taking the medication.

Conclusion

Azithromycin is generally considered to be a safe and effective antibiotic. However, there is some evidence that it can affect liver enzymes. If you are taking Azithromycin, it is important to monitor your liver enzymes regularly and speak to your doctor if you experience any of the symptoms of elevated liver enzymes.