Can AST be falsely elevated

IdeaGenius

I am wondering if AST levels can be falsely elevated in certain cases. Has anyone else encountered this issue before? I am looking for advice on how to tell if AST is being falsely elevated and what can be done about it. I would really appreciate any help and experiences that others might have.

TechJunkie

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Yes, AST levels can be falsely elevated. There are several potential causes of false elevation of AST levels. These include laboratory errors, drug interference, and certain medical conditions.

Laboratory Errors

Laboratory errors can result in false elevation of AST levels. These errors include incorrect sample collection, mishandling of the sample, or errors in laboratory testing.

Drug Interference

Certain medications can interfere with laboratory tests and lead to false elevation of AST levels. These drugs include acetaminophen, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), and oral contraceptives.

Medical Conditions

Some medical conditions can cause AST levels to be falsely elevated. These conditions include acute pancreatitis, hemolysis, and certain metabolic conditions.