Can an infection raise ALT AST levels

IdeaGenius

I am hoping to get some help from other users. Recently, I have been feeling ill and had some alarming blood test results. My ALT and AST levels were both raised. Is it possible that this is caused by an infection? If so, what type of infection could cause this to happen? Are there any treatments available? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Can an infection raise ALT AST levels?

Overview

ALT and AST are two types of enzymes that are found in the liver. Both enzymes are released when the liver is damaged. An infection can cause inflammation in the liver, which can lead to an increase in ALT and AST levels.

What are ALT and AST?

ALT and AST are two enzymes found in the liver. ALT, or alanine aminotransferase, is an enzyme responsible for the transfer of molecules between amino acids and other molecules. AST, or aspartate aminotransferase, is an enzyme that helps to break down proteins and other molecules in the liver.

How can an infection raise ALT and AST levels?

When the liver is damaged, both ALT and AST enzymes are released into the bloodstream. An infection can cause inflammation in the liver, which can lead to an increase in ALT and AST levels. Infections such as hepatitis, mononucleosis, and bacterial or fungal infections can all cause an increase in ALT and AST levels.

What other conditions can raise ALT and AST levels?

In addition to infections, there are other conditions that can cause an increase in ALT and AST levels. These include liver cirrhosis, fatty liver disease, alcohol abuse, certain medications, and tumors.

Can ALT and AST levels be used to diagnose an infection?

ALT and AST levels can often be used to diagnose an infection, but it is important to note that an increase in these levels does not always indicate an infection. It is important to consult a doctor if you suspect you may have an infection or if your ALT and AST levels are elevated.