Are people with autoimmune disease more likely to get long COVID

strawberry

Hello everyone! I was just wondering if anyone had any information on whether people with autoimmune diseases are more likely to get long COVID. I've heard some things, but I'm not sure if they're true or not. Has anyone in the community experienced long COVID with an autoimmune disease, or have any advice on how to protect myself if I do have an autoimmune condition? I'm also curious to know if there's any research out there that looks at the connection between long COVID and autoimmune diseases.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Are People with Autoimmune Disease More Likely to Get Long COVID?

The emergence of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) has left many people wondering if their pre-existing medical conditions may increase their risk for getting the virus or experiencing more severe symptoms. In particular, people with autoimmune diseases are wondering if they are more likely to contract long COVID, or the lingering symptoms that can persist for months after a COVID-19 infection.

Autoimmune Disease is a condition in which the body's immune system mistakenly attacks healthy cells, tissues, and organs. Examples of autoimmune diseases include rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, multiple sclerosis, and psoriasis.

There is currently no evidence that people with autoimmune diseases are more likely to get long COVID than those without. However, it is possible that some people with autoimmune diseases may be at a higher risk of developing the condition due to their weakened immune system. In addition, people with autoimmune diseases may be more likely to experience more severe symptoms if they become infected with COVID-19.

It is important for people with autoimmune diseases to take extra precautions to protect themselves from contracting COVID-19. This includes following social distancing guidelines, wearing a mask when in public, and avoiding large gatherings. It is also important to stay up-to-date on any new developments regarding long COVID and the potential risks to those with autoimmune diseases.