Are NSAIDs contraindicated in pancreatitis

strawberry

Help! I'm looking for information about whether NSAIDs are contraindicated in pancreatitis. I've heard conflicting opinions about this and I'm curious to know if anyone on this forum has had experience with this or any advice they can offer. I've read some articles online, but I'd love to hear more personal stories and experiences from people who might have dealt with this.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Are NSAIDs Contraindicated in Pancreatitis?

Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are commonly used for pain relief, but they can have potentially dangerous side effects. Recent studies have suggested that NSAIDs may be contraindicated in certain conditions, including pancreatitis. This article will discuss the evidence that suggests that NSAIDs should not be used in people with pancreatitis.

Pancreatitis is an inflammation of the pancreas, an organ in the digestive system. It can be caused by a variety of factors, including alcohol, drugs, and certain medical conditions. Pancreatitis can cause severe abdominal pain, nausea, and vomiting. It can also be life-threatening if not treated promptly.

NSAIDs are a class of drugs commonly used to relieve pain and inflammation. They are available over-the-counter and by prescription. Examples of NSAIDs include ibuprofen, naproxen, and aspirin. NSAIDs are generally safe, but they can cause serious side effects, including stomach ulcers, kidney damage, and increased risk of heart attack or stroke.

Recent studies have suggested that NSAIDs may be contraindicated in people with pancreatitis. One such study, published in the journal Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology, found that NSAID use was associated with increased risk of acute pancreatitis. The study also found that NSAIDs were associated with higher risk of complications from pancreatitis, including death.

A separate study, published in the journal Gastroenterology, also found that NSAID use was associated with a higher risk of pancreatitis. The study suggested that NSAIDs may increase the risk of acute pancreatitis by up to fourfold.

Given the potential risks of NSAID use in people with pancreatitis, it is important to talk to your doctor before taking any NSAIDs. Your doctor can recommend the best treatment for your condition and help you make an informed decision about whether or not to take NSAIDs.